The Plant Breeding Research Assistant supports the Strawberry Breeding and variety development efforts in Spain and Morocco assisting evaluation of strawberry selections for horticultural traits. Responsibilities include phenotyping of selections, data collection and management, post-harvest fruit quality assessments including flavor assessments, test-plot logistics, collaboration with the test plot personnel to ensure proper maintenance of the trials, and execution of research projects as directed by her/his supervisor. In addition, this position will assist in the identification of improved plant cultivars and the commercialization of these cultivars under the direction of the breeder.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform other duties as directed by supervisor.
- Exhibit Driscoll’s values of passion, humility and trustworthiness in all interactions.
- Follow company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, government agencies, and growers.
- Conduct evaluations of selections for horticultural traits encompassing field ratings, yield, shelf life, and flavor with high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- In consultation with the breeder design experimental trials, create planting maps, overview plant logistics and plantings of genetic material.
- Perform regular phenotypic evaluation of selections, record observations into the breeding database and communicate observations back to the breeders.
- Monitor fruit harvest and ensure accuracy of collected trial plot data i.e. inputs and outputs from the database that allow successful breeding decisions.
- Using good judgment, upon identification of data abnormalities communicate back to the database management team as well as to the breeders and make corrections.
- Conduct and/or arrange weekly shelf life tests.
- Prepare fruit samples for in house and external taste panels, design and set up taste panels that result in decision making of organoleptic acceptance of prospective varieties.
- Analyze and prepare trial results under the guidance of the breeder.
- Provide input as required for the preparation of the annual breeding reports.
- Collect and transmit field data on a timely basis to plant breeding and research personnel in the UK through the common breeding database.
- Conduct regular visits to the breeding nursery to follow up on nursery performance of genetic material and provide visit reports/feedback to breeders/variety development managers.
- Work collaboratively with other Driscoll’s departments and the grower community to design and establish field trials for variety development.
- Assist in development of production guides.
- Occasionally travel to other geographies, including but not limited to the UK and Morocco to assist in the establishment and evaluation of research trials.
- Maintain a safe and professional office and other work related areas. Maintain the overall appearance, housekeeping, and safety of the facilities up to Driscoll’s standards.
- Ensure the safekeeping of propriety varieties and confidential information
Nivel de experiencia: Algo de responsabilidad
Tipo de empleo: Jornada completa
Funciones laborales: Producción Investigación Ciencias
Más información: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/291290751/